Can Talquistin be used for cats?
Talquistina is a brand of dermatological products used to relieve discomfort and itching caused by skin irritations. This range of products is specifically designed for use on people, however, there are products with a similar composition intended for use on small animals.
What is Talquistine?
Talquistina is a brand of products intended for use in people , which are indicated to relieve itching and discomfort caused by mild or moderate skin irritations. Specifically, these products are used to provide relief for skin that is sensitized by some external cause, such as chafing, insect bites, sun exposure, or excessive sweating.
Talquistina has various presentations (powder, cream, gel, lotion and spray) and all of them are intended for topical application . Its main component is calamine, although the different presentations of Talquistina combine this compound with others such as white paraffin, lanolin, talc or Rhamnosoft.
Next, we explain the components of Talquistin in more detail:
- Calamine : is a metallic compound formed by zinc oxide and iron oxide. Zinc oxide is a skin protectant that acts as a physical barrier between the dermis and external irritants. It absorbs moisture, as it has an astringent effect, and also has antiseptic properties. In addition, it acts as a photoprotective agent, since it scatters ultraviolet radiation.
- White paraffin : it has protective and emollient properties. It is commonly used as an excipient for the preparation of ointments for topical use, since it allows the active principle to be transported.
- Lanolin : is a wax of natural origin, produced by the sebaceous glands of sheep, which has emollient and moisturizing properties. It is also often used as an excipient in ointments for topical use.
- Talc : is a product derived from a mineral compound called magnesium silicate . It has a soothing and protective effect on the dermis, and is also often used as an excipient in ointments and creams.
- The rhamnosoft : it is a complex based on polysaccharides that is obtained from bacterial fermentation. Its usefulness is due to the fact that it has a protective effect on the skin, decreases inflammatory reactions in the skin, reduces the adhesion of microorganisms to the skin surface, and also stimulates the production of beta-endorphins (molecules that block the sensation of pain).
Can Talquistin be used for cats or not?
As we have already mentioned, Talquistin products are specifically formulated for use in humans and, to date, there are no publications describing their use in the feline species .
However, there are other products intended for use in small animals that contain calamine (the main component of Talquistin) and have indications similar to those of the Talquistin products. For this reason, in the event that your veterinarian deems it appropriate to establish a dermatological treatment with calamine, he or she will usually recommend the use of one of these products specifically for veterinary use to avoid the risks posed by the use of a product that does not It is tested on pets.
Calamine lotions are generally used in cats with some dermatological pathologies (such as dermatitis , furunculosis, etc.) to soothe irritated skin and absorb excess moisture from skin lesions.
In any case, it must be taken into account that this type of lotion only constitutes a symptomatic treatment that helps to alleviate symptoms such as irritation or itching. For this reason, its application must be complemented with a specific therapy that treats the primary cause of the skin pathology.
Dosage of Talquistina for cats
As we have already mentioned, Talquistina products have not been tested on the feline species, although in practice these products can be replaced by lotions with calamine specifically for veterinary use. These lotions should be applied to the skin area to be treated, between 2-3 times a day, for 2-7 days .
Before its application, it is recommended to clean the area to be treated with gauze and physiological saline. Next, the lotion should be applied with the fingertips, gently, until the area of skin to be treated is covered with a thin layer of product.
In any case, remember that the use of these products should only be carried out under the recommendation of a veterinary professional .
Side effects of Talquistin for cats
The side effects that calamine lotions can cause are exclusively local, since even if there is some absorption of the product through the skin, this is not enough to cause systemic adverse effects.
Possible side effects associated with the use of calamine lotions in cats are:
- Hypersensitivity reactions (allergy) to any of its components: in these cases, skin rashes, redness, itching, etc. can be observed. We tell you more about Allergy in cats: symptoms and treatment , below.
- Irritation in the area of application due to prolonged use of the product (more than 7 days): prolonged use of the zinc oxide that contains calamine increases the remains and coagulated material on the skin, which can generate greater irritation and discomfort. .
In these cases, the treatment with the lotion should be suspended and the area washed with plenty of water or saline solution.
Contraindications of Talquistina for cats
Although calamine lotions are safe, there are certain situations in which their use may be contraindicated, such as:
- In case of allergy to any of its components.
- In case of open and exudative wounds .
- In areas close to the eyes, ears and other mucous membranes (mouth and nose).
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe veterinary treatments or carry out any type of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the vet in the event that it presents any type of condition or discomfort.