Home remedies for diarrhea in dogs
If you have come this far, it is probably because you have thought “dog has diarrhoea, what can I give him homemade?”. Well, diarrhea is one of the most common symptoms in dogs. Throughout their lives, it is common for our canine companions to suffer from an episode of acute or chronic diarrhea. Its causes can be multiple and, in many cases, require a veterinary professional to establish a specific treatment. However, medical therapy can be complemented with a series of home remedies that help the recovery of the animal with diarrhea.
Home remedies for diarrhea in puppies
Approximately 10-25% of puppies suffer from digestive problems during their first year of life. Diarrheal symptoms are especially frequent in the weaning stage because:
- The transition from milk to solid food entails structural, functional, microbial and enzymatic changes at the digestive level.
- During weaning, puppies go through an immune gap phase, during which they are more susceptible to infectious diseases.
- The separation from the mother is a significant stress that can affect the metabolism, the immune system and the intestinal function of the puppies.
Diarrhea in puppies is a significant problem because it can lead to stunted growth and an increased mortality rate . Young animals are especially vulnerable because they dehydrate more easily. Therefore, whenever an episode of diarrhea is detected in a puppy, it is important to go urgently to a veterinary center to address the problem early. The specific treatment prescribed by a veterinary professional can be complemented with a series of home remedies that favor the recovery of the puppy.
These home remedies will be aimed at keeping the animal hydrated, offering an easily assimilated diet and avoiding overloading the digestive system:
- Rehydration Solution – Episodes of diarrhea are always associated with some degree of dehydration, which can be especially severe in puppies. In cases of severe dehydration, it is necessary to establish an intravenous fluid therapy protocol. However, in mild and short-term conditions, dehydration can be reversed by administering a rehydration solution. There are commercial products on the market for this purpose, although they can also be made at home. To prepare a homemade rehydration serum for puppies, it will be enough to dilute in a liter of mineral water, two tablespoons of sugar or honey and a small teaspoon of salt. Once prepared, the solution should be offered several times an hour so that the puppy recovers the liquid it has lost. If the animal does not want to consume it voluntarily, it can be administered with a syringe (without a needle). The syringe must be inserted through the corner of the lip and the serum administered slowly to avoid choking.
- Avoid fasting : although the recommendation of fasting in cases of diarrhea is a relatively common practice, the truth is that there is no study that demonstrates its effectiveness. However, the effectiveness of maintaining an adequate diet during episodes of acute diarrhea has been demonstrated, since it helps maintain the integrity of the digestive tract, reducing the destruction of intestinal villi, intestinal permeability and bacterial translocation.
- Highly digestible diet : instead of fasting, it is preferable to provide a low-fat and highly digestible diet. You can opt for a gastrointestinal feed, specifically designed for diarrhea in puppies. In this case, it is best to opt for wet formats to facilitate digestion. Alternatively, a homemade turkey or chicken diet (no carbohydrates or fat) can be given for 5-10 days.
- Ration the food : in order to avoid digestive overload, it is important to divide the ration into 4 or 5 daily meals. This does not imply giving more food, simply distributing it in more feedings.
Home remedies for diarrhea in adult and elderly dogs
Throughout their lives, it is common for dogs to have episodes of diarrhea, which can be acute (lasting less than 3 weeks) or chronic (lasting more than 3 weeks). Diarrheal symptoms can have a very varied etiology (infectious, parasitic, allergic, immune-mediated, etc.) and require the assistance of a veterinary professional who establishes a specific treatment. However, there are a number of home remedies for diarrhea in dogs that can complement medical treatment and promote the recovery of the animal. Of course, we insist, when in doubt «my dog has diarrhoea, what medicine should I give him?», It should be the veterinarian who prescribes the drugs based on the cause.
Next, we are going to explain how to stop diarrhea in dogs with home remedies , whether it is adult or elderly dogs:
- Rehydration solution – As in puppies, dogs can also be given a rehydration solution when diarrhea causes mild dehydration. The recipe to make this homemade serum for dogs with diarrhea is the same as that described for puppies.
- Bland Diet – In dogs with acute diarrhea it is important to feed a highly digestible, low-fat, low-fiber diet. You can opt for wet gastrointestinal feeds or homemade rations based on boiled chicken or turkey and rice or potatoes . In addition, medium chain triglycerides (such as coconut oil) can be added to provide an easily assimilated source of calories. The ration must be administered in 3-4 daily intakes to avoid intestinal overload. If the animal improves, after 4-5 days the soft diet should be mixed with the usual food to favor the transition to the normal diet.
- Change of diet : there is a type of chronic diarrhea known as “diarrhoea that responds to diet”, which disappears after starting a dietary therapy. The treatment is based on administering a diet with a new source of protein that the animal has never eaten (it can be either a commercial feed or a homemade ration). Therefore, if your dog has chronic diarrhea, you can choose to make a change in diet of this style, since it may be decisive. However, we recommend that you consult with your regular veterinarian before doing it.
- Probiotics – Probiotics are supplements that contain live microorganisms intended to maintain or enhance normal gut microbiota. In dogs with diarrhoea, probiotics are able to regulate the intestinal microbiota by increasing beneficial bacteria and reducing opportunistic pathogens. In any case, you should know that they are products that should not be administered without the recommendation of a veterinarian.
Home remedies for bloody diarrhea in dogs
The fact of finding fresh (undigested) blood in the feces of dogs indicates with a high probability that it is a case of large intestine diarrhea. However, the remedies to cure diarrhea in dogs that we have collected throughout this article are useful for both small intestine and large intestine diarrhea.
Therefore, if you are looking for a home remedy for a dog that has bloody diarrhea, you can apply any of the tips that we have mentioned . In addition, it is important that you go to your trusted veterinarian as soon as possible so that he can determine the cause of the bloody diarrhea and establish a specific treatment against it.
Finally, you should know that there are certain «home remedies» for diarrhea in dogs, such as the administration of yogurt or ground garlic, which circulate on the net as effective methods, but which, far from being beneficial, can complicate the process. state of the animal. These products can be negative, or even toxic to the dog’s body if administered incorrectly. Yogurt, for example, without lactose or sugar can be suitable for dogs by controlling the amount, but with lactose and sugar it is not recommended. Therefore, remember the importance of consulting your veterinarian before administering any home remedy to your dog.
And if what you need is home remedies for dogs with diarrhea and vomiting, we recommend you go to the veterinary center to first find the cause that is producing this symptomatology.
This article is merely informative, at tecnomd.com we do not have the authority to prescribe veterinary treatments or carry out any type of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in the event that it presents any type of condition or discomfort.