Importance of brushing the dog
Brushing the dog is a task that must be carried out periodically, since it influences the hygiene of the animal and that of your own home. But let’s look in depth at all the reasons why it is important to comb the dog.
You will remove dead hair
If you do not brush your pet regularly, it is very normal for the animal to accumulate dead hair on its body. Said hair is very uncomfortable for him, plus every time he scratches or shakes himself inside your home, the hair will fly through him.
Let’s also remember by consciously removing your pet’s dead fur, that will no longer fall on your floor, bed, sofa or any area your dog passes through.
You will keep it clean longer
Another good reason to brush the dog every day or, at least, several times a week (this will depend on the type of fur of each one), is because by doing so you will be removing any superficial dirt stuck to its hair.
With this you achieve that the animal remains clean much longer without going through the bathtub.
Yes it’s correct. The «dog smell» exists and the reason must be sought in the sebaceous glands.
These glands are the ones that produce the fat that protects the skin. Therefore, when the hair gets wet, the production of bait increases and with it the smell.
In addition, the bacteria break down those dead hairs that remain attached to the animal’s body and that makes the smell intensify.
For all these reasons, brushing, removing dead hair and dirt, also removes that fur that smells the most.
You will keep parasites away
By brushing your dog, removing dead hair and dirt, you keep parasites at bay. But, in addition to this, if there are already, you will be able to detect them if you had not noticed before.
Brushing time, if done with love, can become a time of fun and connection between pet and owner.
If you brush your dog carefully, it will seem like a very positive experience that he will relate to you. This will help you strengthen emotional bonds.
You will see your skin better
By combing your pet regularly you will be able to observe his skin. In this way, you could detect problems if there were any: allergies in dogs, wounds, lumps…
In case you see anything out of the ordinary, it is essential that you consult a veterinarian.
Of course, we must not forget the aesthetic issue. By combing your dog frequently and doing all of the above, you can also make your dog’s coat healthier and shinier, both in reality and in appearance.
How to brush the dog?
One of the main issues to take into account when brushing the dog is the love that must be put into this task. That love begins with the instrument, that is, with the brush you choose to groom your pet.
- Start by caressing his head and ears with your hand, just the way he likes it.
- Once you detect that she is relaxed, alternate the caress of one hand with brushing.
- Comb the top of her head and continue behind her ears.
- Brushed the head, goes to the loin.
- Comb his trunk sideways, starting at the top and working your way down, in the direction of hair growth.
- The legs and tail are the most delicate areas, so save them for last. Look closely, because in their armpits and tail (in those who have long hair) knots can form and you will have to undo them with love.
- To remove the knots, the ideal is for the hair to be somewhat damp. You will need a fine comb to remove the knot little by little. Hold it by the root so that if you pull, you don’t hurt your pet.